Sharing dates of Fairs


If you click on one of the months above it will show a list of fairs usually held that month.PLEASE, PLEASE let me know of any fair you know about and I'll add it to the list.
I apologise for not making any attempt to keep it current this is just an attempt to have a list of as many dolls house shows that I can find. Even if you see a show with an old date you can just google the name of the show to find out the date of the next one.

It would be great if you'd let me know of any I can add to the list.

Monday 8 June 2015

York Dollshouse and Miniatures Fair - 7th June 2015

I may as well begin with an apology.  This is the first show 'review' where I don't have a single photo to share with you.  I usually have an album.  For the last couple of years plus, every show I have been to I have been writing a review of it for Dolls House and Miniature Scene magazine and so I was allowed to take a zillion photos (with vendors permission).

This time, quelle catastrophe!  Having agreed with the editor that I would cover it I arrived fifteen minutes before curtain up only to be told there was a lady already doing it.  I managed to speak to her briefly to confirm she was indeed covering the show for the magazine so, as she was already underway, I conceded the arena and sent my husband off to the car with my camera as I wouldn't be able to use it in the show.

Most vendors who make their own things don't want everyone photographing them and copying them so they are rightly 'precious' about who gets to do what, so it isn't worth trailing around with a camera for the occasional vendor who doesn't mind.

As for the show itself, it seemed to be a very good one.  Over eighty stalls, a fine day weather-wise and a ton of customers at opening time.  The location is very good - easy to get to and well sign-posted if coming by car.  That said, York is something of a hub for trains so I imagine it is also good for people who want to get there by train.

The racecourse is spacious (tons of free parking for the show) and offers easy walking into town from there if, like me, you have a companion who has a day to fill with things other than miniatures.

The show is spread over three floors so no real crush once the first hour's angst to get to the best piece has subsided.

I (my husband) always take stuff to the charity table and do that before the doors open as that it is always the first 'hit' for a lot of people.  I love the idea of someone enjoying my stuff more than the pennies you make after you have been stiffed by EBay.
(PS: they raised over £2,000 on the day)

The variety of vendors is good.  there are a few high end people, a mass of what I think of as nice things at doable prices and a few who are perfect for newbies who are just finding their feet and don't want to splurge on anything too 'exotic'. 

The food is reasonable and there are a couple of areas for this - a main restaurant area on the ground floor and a quiet snack and drink area on the third floor for five minutes feet up time.

There was a flower making class with Ladies Mile Miniatures and a Jane Harrop talk but I actually missed her stand and thought she wasn't there.  So cross with myself because I enjoy her talks and would have gone for sure.  She is always good to listen to, not to mention you get to do this for free.  There was also a lovely prize draw for a Petite Properties cottage.

The only other thing I can tell you is that I had a wonderful weekend.  We went to York on Saturday, had a picnic lunch from home, went round the amazing Fairfax House - do try to get to see it if you have any kind of Georgian itch.  I have never seen such fine ceilings in such a house.

We then checked into our hotel.  Premier Inn  (Bilbrough).  It was cheap, especially with the meal deal thrown in, and I'd certainly do it again.

We then went to see the Noel Terry house - this time to die for if you are an Arts and Crafts fan, or just want to see a nice house, stroll some pleasant gardens and have cake and tea.

On Sunday, following a good breakfast, I was off to the show .  I had finished by lunchtime so we went to lunch at an Italian which my husband haunts on all the York trips because they do fabulous ice cream.  I am even giving you a link to this because it was absolutely outstanding food and terrific service.  The place was very busy and full of yummy mummies and their tribes but well worth doing.  Trinacria.  

So if you do the terrific York show try to make a weekend of it.  It is happening again in November.

PS:  York itself is lovely and packed with history, topped by the breathtaking Minster.  If shopping is your thing - tons to go at including a great Designer outlet.

PPS:  if you want to see what I bought from fourteen vendors (!) go look at my Dalton House site on 10th, 11th, 12th June 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.